Women’s Snipe World Championship – Final
Newport, RI, August 19, 2018 (Photo courtesy of Matthew Cohen) Down to the Wire The title for the championship came down to the wire. Only one race was planned for the final day and there was only a three point spread between the Norwegian team, Americans Cronin and Couranz, and the Portuguese-American team of Pires de Lima and Tocke. The Norwegians lead going into today, but with more breeze forecasted, bets were on the American and Portuguese boats who were gunning for one more race in breeze. ...
Newport, RI, August 19, 2018
(Photo courtesy of Matthew Cohen)
Down to the Wire
The title for the championship came down to the wire. Only one race was planned for the final day and there was only a three point spread between the Norwegian team, Americans Cronin and Couranz, and the Portuguese-American team of Pires de Lima and Tocke. The Norwegians lead going into today, but with more breeze forecasted, bets were on the American and Portuguese boats who were gunning for one more race in breeze.
The race committee postponed onshore due to winds gusting above the 18 knot limit for the Women’s Championship. Augie Diaz walked around the fleet making sure that teams had pins in the spreaders and knew how to prevent their masts from inverting. Only two teams stayed onshore when the postponement glad was lowered.
The race committee got the race underway with winds ranging from 15 – 18 knots and an Olympic course. Cronin and Couranz nailed the start and were able to tack and cross most of the fleet on port. Brazilians Duque and Arndt, also had a good start and speed and were immediately ahead of Pires de Lima and Tocke, who started conservatively. The Norwegians struggle to be in the top of the fleet after the start. The Brazilians led the first upwind with a decent gap at the windward mark. Cronin and Couranz were second, followed by Pires de Lima and Tocke.
The leaders started the reach without a pole. Pires de Lima and Tocke skillfully passed the Americans and were on the heels of the Brazilians at the jibe mark. The two boats fought hard during the second reach leaving the Americans behind. Since the top three teams were launched from the rest of the fleet, Pires de Lima and Tocke’s only chance for the win was to pass the Brazilians. The two team were neck and neck at the second windward mark, with Brazil rounding first. Pires de Lima and Tocke passed the Brazilians to windward and seemingly had the Championship sewn up as they closed in on the downwind finish. Pires de Lima made a fatal mistake and decided to jibe away. The Brazilians seeing the were on an angle straight to the finish continued and separated instantly by ten meters. The Brazilians won the race, given the title to Cronin and Couranz, who were the most consistent boat of the series.
(Photo gallery: photos by Matthew Cohen, Kathleen Tocke and Paul J Mello)
Pos,Bow/Sail, Skipper, Yacht Club, Results, Total Points
1. 33 / USA 31295, carol cronin/Kim Couranz, Severn Sailing Association, 4-3-2-3-4-4--4-3- ; 27
2. 14 / POR 28767, Mafalda Pires de Lima/Kathleen Tocke, Clube de Vela Atlantico, 12-7-1-1-2-2-1-[33/RET]-2- ; 28
3. 13 / NOR 31423, Anette Melsom Myhre/Janett Krefting, Royal Norwegian Yacht Club, 5-1-3-4-3-3-4-9-- ; 32
4. 77 / BRA 31163, Juliana Duque/MARINA ARNDT, Yacht Clube da Bahia, 1-[33/DSQ]-5-33/OCS-1-5-2-10-1- ; 58
5. 72 / USA 29511, Taylor Scheuermann/Charlie Bess, Coral Reef Yacht Club, 2-8--2-7-8-6-13-13- ; 59
6. 34 / USA 30188, Rachel Bryer/Marisa DeCollibus, CISF, 17-2-13-7-[33/RET]-10-5-2-6- ; 62
7. 44 / USA 31424, Lynne Shore/Abbey Preston, Plymouth Yacht Club, 22-21-10-[33/OCS]-6-15-9-5-5- ; 93
8. 17 / USA 31508, Bridget Wiatrowski/Jessica Claflin, Hyannis Yacht Club, -6-7-17-13-19-18-1-14- ; 95T
9. 15 / USA 29687, Cory Sertl/Martha Parker, New York Yacht Club, 11-30-4-10-10-[33/OCS]-8-11-11- ; 95T
10. 24 / ESP 30582, PAULA CORREA SANCHEZ/CARMEN HERRERO BENITO, REAL CLUB NAUTICO CORUÑA, 9-17-17-9-8-[33/OCS]-11-18-7- ; 96
11. 52 / USA 31313, Lisa Pline/Lexi Pline, Severn Sailing Association, 16-12-20-16--6-12-3-16- ; 101T
12. 22 / USA 8653, Christine Neville/Monica Wilson, Sail Newport, 10--21-12-14-9-3-20-12- ; 101T
13. 42 / USA 29499, Hillary Noble/Kim Calnan, Naples Community Sailing Center, 6-9-6-19-23-12-16--19- ; 110
14. 27 / ARG 31338, PILAR CALABRESE/Christina Persson, Yacht Club Argentino, 25-27-11-[33/OCS]-5-13-15-7-15- ; 118
15. 73 / USA 24842, Katie Levinson/Sally Levinson, Winchester Boat Club, 7-4-22-11-18-[33/OCS]-17-22-18- ; 119
16. 23 / USA 30571, Sharon Seymour-Johnson/Isabella du Plessis, Lauderdale Yacht Club, 20-19-9-[33/OCS]-11-16-33/RET-8-4- ; 120
17. 41 / USA 31013, Grace Olsen/Linda Epstein, Cottage Park, 15-10-18-6--20-10-23-22- ; 124
18. 71 / USA 31280, Jennifer Rousmaniere/Nikki Bruno, Winchester Boat Club, 8-13-19-15-20-1-28-24-[33/DNC]- ; 128T
19. 31 / USA 29682, Lorie Stout/Jane Millman, Davis Island Yacht Club, 13-14--14-15-11-23-21-17- ; 128T
20. 35 / USA 30903, Elizabeth Glivinski/Fiona Gordon, Medford Boat Club, 3-5-12-[33/OCS]-12-33/OCS-20-12-33/RET- ; 130
21. 55 / BAH 28811, Lori Lowe/Sarajane McMahon, RNSC, -15-25-5-9-17-22-14-24- ; 131
22. 53 / USA 29955, Lindsey Baab/Grace Gagnon, SFYC, 18-18-8-[33/OCS]-21-33/OCS-14-15-8- ; 135
23. 47 / POL 29973, Kulesza Ewa/Filadelfia Bachorz, ZLKS Kiekrz, 19-24-24-8-17-14-21--9- ; 136
24. 75 / FRA 29440, Laurence Bourdonnay/Floraine LeFloch, FL LANESTER VOILE, 21-23-27-20-26-7-26-6-[33/DNC]- ; 156
25. 37 / USA 30288, Elizabeth Dubovik/Kaitlyn Baab, Chatham Yacht Club, 14-16-15-[33/OCS]-16-33/OCS-13-19-33/RET- ; 159
26. 43 / USA 30629, Holly O’Hare/Susie Balcirak, Erie Yacht Club, 28-20-14-13-27-[33/OCS]-19-16-33/DNC- ; 170
27. 74 / USA 30470, Kerry O’Brien/Ann Walt Stallings, Medford Boat Club, 29-11-30-18-19-22-24-29-[33/DNC]- ; 182
28. 57 / BRA 12108, Paola Prada/Georgia Bruder, Yacht Club Paulista, -28-31-22-29-18-25-25-23- ; 201
29. 25 / CAN 30765, Inessa Townsend-Fish/Kristina Harris, Guelph Community Boating Club, 27-26-28-23--21-29-31-20- ; 205T
30. 45 / USA 30552, Lauren Schoene/Cassie Todd, Severn Sailing Association, 24-25-29-21-25-[33/OCS]-30-30-21- ; 205T
31. 32 / USA 30404, Deborah McCay/Emma Vogel, Ida Lewis Yacht Club, 32-31-26-[33/DSQ]-24-23-27-17-33/DNC- ; 213
32. 11 / USA 30236, Kay Kilpatrick Voss/Michelle Morphew, CGSC/CRYC, 30-29-32-[33/OCS]-30-24-31-27-33/DNC- ; 236
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Your comment will be revised by the site if needed.