Sailors Forum Notes
During the Senior World Championship a Sailors forum was held in a theatre at the Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro. These were ideas from the room for the Board to think about/consider. Notes from Sailor's ForumMonday, Sept 23, 2013 ...
During the Senior World Championship a Sailors forum was held in a theatre at the Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro.
These were ideas from the room for the Board to think about/consider.
Notes from Sailor’s Forum
Monday, Sept 23, 2013
• Add a Mixed World Championship (mixed crew of male & female). SCIRA needs to check ISAF regulations (see below)
Please note ISAF Regulation 25.2.5:
25.2.5 The World Championship right granted in Regulation 25.2.1 may be open, or may be restricted on the basis of gender or age. All ISAF Classes may also award the following subsidiary World Championship titles:
Regulation 25.2.5(a): one Women’s World Champion title
Regulation 25.2.5(b): one Youth World Champion title (which may be on the basis of gender), where youth crews are so defined by the Class.
Regulation 25.2.5(c): one further World Champion title on the basis of gender, age or discipline
• Make championship bids public on the website and allow competing venues the chance to make changes up to 2 weeks before the deadline of the decision.
• Allow National Secretaries to vote on the bids and decide championship venues
• Bids to include tourist information for families & guests
• Review re-allocation method for Worlds (add dates and encourage countries to select teams more in advance)
• Former World Champions (all) automatically qualify for Worlds
• Promote fleets via social media – share with other fleets.
• Better networking with local, national and international fleets
• Charter boats
• Encourage more boat exchanges over charters
• Set a charter boat fee cap on price
• Explore insurance options for world
• Revisit minimum wind limit for championships
• Allow movement of mast butt equipment (between races)
• Have a youth sailor on the Board and/or a youth committee
• Encourage more homestays at major events
• Countries should look into team racing to encourage more youth sailors. Easier to travel (fly in, use boat, fly out) but include a fleet race to hook them into Snipe racing.
• Use decal income to subsidize charter fees
• Offer “premium” memberships over and above normal fees to subsidize programs
• Investigate “U” flag at the start
• Increase Worlds entries overall (>80 boats)