14 Questions to … Juliana Duque
Juliana Duque, from Salvador, Brazil, winner of the 2016 Women's Championship in Bracciano - 1) Your first time on a sailing boat? My first time was at 2 years old in a Fast 31 of my parents. - 2) Your first time on a Snipe? 16 years old. - 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta? It was one of the first times I sailed in the Laser class and it was very windy and serious, I never saw anything like it. I surfed good waves but I spent most of the time with the boat upside down. ...
Juliana Duque, from Salvador, Brazil, winner of the 2016 Women’s Championship in Bracciano
– 1) Your first time on a sailing boat?
My first time was at 2 years old in a Fast 31 of my parents.
– 2) Your first time on a Snipe?
16 years old.
– 3) The most bizarre thing that happened in a regatta?
It was one of the first times I sailed in the Laser class and it was very windy and serious, I never saw anything like it. I surfed good waves but I spent most of the time with the boat upside down.
– 4) What is the thing that most angers you in a race/regatta?
Sometimes I’m a perfectionist. Could be a little less.
– 5) Which is the race/regatta that you remember with the most pleasure?
Most of my regattas I remember with pleasure. Recently it was the last race of the South American Snipe championship with Rafael Martins. There was a lot of wind, we started badly and we were recovering until the last minute working very hard, the feeling was very good when we finished.
– 6) And the race/regatta you would like to forget?
It was the first junior Snipe Worlds. My coach put a lot of pressure on me and he was very stressed. I was not feeling happy about sailing and I had a big collision with two other boats. I retired from that race.
– 7) Your “dream in the peak”? (Your sailing dream?)
I would like to participate in an Olympics and when I am older, I want to continue sailing the Snipe like Bibi.
– 8) Sailing goals for 2017, and beyond?
For 2017 I want to participate in the Copa Brasil in the 470 and in other championships. Also I want to qualify and do well in the Snipe Worlds.
– 9) The most important people for you in sailing and in the Snipe?
I really admire Robert Scheidt, Martine Grael and Bibi.
– 10) Why the Snipe?
I don’t know exactly why I started on the Snipe but I will not leave soon. It is a class that teaches a lot and can bring together younger and older people because it is not just strength. I actually point out this class to anyone who has just left the Optmist because it is a very complete boat.
– 11) Your perfect sailing venue and your perfect sailing conditions?
A perfect place with perfect conditions is where I live in Salvador. It is always hot, I can train with more or less waves, and it is never without wind.
– 12) Besides sailing which other sport do you practice?
Today, I only sail and do bodybuilding for sailing.
– 13) Are you superstitious?
I was very superstitious but I’m decreasing it over time.
– 14) Your perfect holiday?
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Your comment will be revised by the site if needed.